Inorganic Crystal Structure Database: New Version on the Web
by Grace Baysinger
The Inorganic Crystal Structure Database (ICSD), the most comprehensive database on fully determined inorganic crystal structures, is now available as an enhanced Web-based application, providing easy access from anywhere around the world.
After two years of development by FIZ Karlsruhe, the new Web version was designed to meet both the increased requirements of the ISCD user community (user friendly interface, easy to navigate, up-to date retrieval interface and visualization, flexible export of data) and the requirements of modern software development.
At present, the ICSD contains:
- 1,400 crystal structures of the elements,
- 23,000 records for binary compounds,
- 42,500 records for ternary compounds.
- 45,000 records for quarternary and quintenary compounds, and
- About 90,000 entries (70,3%) have been assigned a structure type. There are currently 4,860 structure prototypes.
New Features of ICSD Web include:
- New and extended information about ICSD, including complete Help information.
- Enhanced search functionality: easy to use and intuitive search interface.
- Easy analysis of large and complex data sets.
- Simple and powerful query management: load, modify and save queries.
- Personalization/User Profiles for IP access based account.
The ICSD Web interface is divided into six parts:
- The header shows a welcome message. The "Logout" button allows you to leave the current session. After database searches have been performed, a "Print" button will appear.
- The Navigation allows you to jump back to the "Basic Search" form, to access specialized pages for performing advanced searches, and to manage your queries.
- The main interface is the central working place for the ICSD. Here you can enter and refine searches.
- The search action field allows you to run, save and clear your current query.
- In the search summary field preliminary numbers of results are shown.
- The Query History field contains your last 30 performed searches and allows you to access them quickly and conveniently.